Why Invest in Transportation?
Transportation is at the center of everything we do – it plays a vital role in our daily lives. It connects us with our families, jobs, communities, hospitals and schools. It supports community revitalization, economic development and job growth.
A strong transportation system would allow Virginians mobility and accessibility with reduced congestion, maintained roadways and multimodal options. It would create a safer and more secure Commonwealth. It is essential to move the Commonwealth forward and give the state the competitive advantage it needs to continue to thrive.
Until the passing of HB 2313 in 2013, Virginia had not received any significant new funding in 25 years. Although this was a step in the right direction, we cannot view that investment in transportation as finished. Virginians are still paying the price for years of neglecting our transportation infrastructure.
- There is little state money for secondary road construction, highway corridors, transit or rail initiatives or improvements to expand ports and airports.
- Costs to fix Virginia’s highway pavements are now more than $2 billion per year.
- Twenty-six percent of bridges are structurally deficient or functionally obsolete, and the estimated cost of repairs is $3 billion.
- Drivers in Northern Virginia will spend 82 hours a year in traffic, 45 hours for Virginia Beach and 34 hours for Richmond. Driving on roads costs Virginia motorists $2.6 billion a year in extra vehicle repairs and operating costs – $475 per motorist due to inadequate road conditions.
- The majority of needed transportation projects identified this year in the SMART SCALE project prioritization process will go unfunded.
How Can You Help?
Become a part of the solution. Find out more information about the issues impacting all Virginians. Encourage colleagues, friends and family members to learn more about the transportation funding issue facing the Commonwealth and help educate others. Urge elected officials to maintain a long-term, sustainable transportation funding solution that will support and strengthen the Commonwealth – let’s move the Commonwealth forward.
See more at: http://vbtva.com/virginias-transportation-funding-crisis-its-not-over.aspx